Alright, so I could do a longer intro-type post about what I'd be posting and everything, but I didn't feel like it. Thus, I'm just diving right in and posting about something, instead of posting about posting.
A few weeks ago, I went to a show in Old Colorado City (for those of you not from C Springs, its, you guessed it, the older part of town) with one of my friends, Kyle, and my brother, Rob. I read about the show in our local newspaper, which said that it should be a great acoustic show by a little known artist, Jonah Werner. That article was spot on. The concert was in a teeny venue called the Loft, owned by Jonah's brother, and sat maybe 100 people (but I'm really bad at estimating the number of people, so it really could be anywhere from 80-120 people). Rob, Kyle and I were in the middle of the second row, so we had a great view. Jonah played guitar and sang, while his brother handled an accouterment of percussion instruments (bongos, snare, rainstick, that box thingy that people sit on and play, etc.). The show was great, Jonah was really funny and down to earth and his music was awesome. It was an acoustic set (which is probably my favorite type of show) and his songs were funny, sweet, serious, thoughtful and intriguing by turn. He also turned me back onto the acoustic genre (I had previously been stuck in a country genre). So, if you like acoustic music, I highly recommend checking Jonah Werner out. He's on youtube and itunes and has a website, jonahwerner.com . I also made a mix on 8tracks of a few of his songs and a bunch of other acoustic songs you may or may not know, so go check that out also: http://8tracks.com/valeriekirsten/acoustic
Let me know what you think!
That was a great night! It was the first acoustic session I'd been to, and there was something about the tiny, closed-in atmosphere that made it feel a lot more personal. I actually really enjoyed it, and yeah, Jonah Werner, and even the other band "Your Mom" may not have been as famous as Nickelback, the concert, to me, was actually a lot more enjoyable. I felt like I was able to 'connect' with the artists on a much closer level. Don't even get me started on Jonah's brother playing percussion; that man kicked some serious ass on the bongos!
ReplyDeleteIs Jonah Werner John Werner's alternative self?
ReplyDelete