I decided to make a chicken pot pie. I'm not really sure why, but it sounded so yummy and comforting (because, I mean, really, who doesn't like chicken pot pie?). So I went to my handy dandy cookbook (Better Homes and Gardens - it's awesome.) and found a recipe for a pot pie! Well, kind of. It's one of those recipes where you can choose what kind of meat, base and veggies to put in. So, I used chicken (we bought a rotisserie chicken and shredded the meat), cream of mushrooms, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, potatoes, string beans and shallots.
Here's how I made it: (sorry there's no pics, I got distracted by cooking) (and I didn't follow the directions exactly, but it still turned out great!)
1. Chop everything into the size you want.
2. Preheat oven to 400.
3. Heat up some olive oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add shallots, cook until tender.
4. Add everything else: veggies, chicken, cream of mushrooms, salt, pepper, italian seasonings. Stir it all around.
5. Add other liquid if necessary (I ended up adding another can of cream of chicken, 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of chicken broth, but I had probably 3 times the amount a veggies the original recipe called for)
6. Bring to boiling.
7. Turn off heat and pour everything into a 2 quart pan.
8. Take your topper (I used a premade pie crust, but you can use almost anything - crescent rolls, biscuits, etc.) and place it over the stuff in the pan, fold any extra over the side of the pan.
9. Brush the topper with a little bit of milk, sprinkle a little bit of cheese (if you want, I used parm) on top
10. Pop it in the oven for 25 minutes.
11. When its golden and bubbly, take it out and let it sit for 20 minutes before serving.
12. Enjoy!
Sorry I didn't get a pic of it after we cut into it, but it smelled and looked so good I totally forgot in my haste to eat! It was delicious, creamy but not heavy and flavorful but not overpowering. And it was so easy! I'm definitely making it again, soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment