
Anyways, the book is set in France before and during WWI and also England in the 1978. It centers around a young Englishman, Stephen Wraysford, who falls in love and has an affair with Isabelle Azaire, a married French woman, while visiting France. The novel follows Stephen as he falls in love, joins the British military, perseveres through life in the trenches and finally sees the end of the war. This review is actually really hard to do because I can't really give too much of a summary without giving away much of the story. It's a beautifully written eye-opening account of the horrors of trench warfare, but it's also a touching love story between two unlikely lovers. Furthermore, it bridges the gap between the past and present through it's dual timelines (in WWI and 1978), and shows how the past never really leaves us.
While I wouldn't rank this book in my top 5 ever, it was definitely a worthwhile read, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little deeper, multifaceted story. I apologize for the lack of substance in this post, but I really hope you'll take my word and pick up up (or if you want, you can borrow it from me).
Hope you're having a good weekend!
Ps. I'm super psyched to post tomorrow... my dad and I are frantically preparing for my mom's surprise party tonight, so it should be a lot of fun and I'll tell you all about it tomorrow! xx
No comments:
Post a Comment